ASP.NET is a web application framework developed and marketed by Microsoft to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites. It allows you to use a full featured programming language such as C# or VB.NET to build web applications easily.
- ASP.NET is a new ASP generation. It is not compatible with Classic ASP, but ASP.NET may include Classic ASP.
- ASP.NET pages are compiled, which makes them faster than Classic ASP.
- ASP.NET has better language support, a large set of user controls, XML-based components, and integrated user authentication.
- ASP.NET pages have the extension .aspx, and are normally written in VB (Visual Basic) or C# (C sharp).
- User controls in ASP.NET can be written in different languages, including C++ and Java.
- When a browser requests an ASP.NET file, the ASP.NET engine reads the file, compiles and executes the scripts in the file, and returns the result to the browser as plain HTML.